Friday, January 6, 2012



I recently saw the movie I'ts Kind Of A Funny Story. It was about a teenager boy named Craig who was struggling with depression. He stopped taking his medicene and ended up in the emergency room where he tried to tell his doctor that he wanted to kill himself. The doctor wanted to brush him off. He thought it was just another teenager trying to get attention. Craig begged the doctor though, and he was admitted. As the movie goes along, Craig starts to make some friends. He starts to find his strengths such as art, music, etc. He even starts encouraging and helping other people who had been admitted. Craig learns to find happiness in the little things in life. Whether he was coloring a picture, playing some ping pong, or just talking with a friend, Craig found happiness.
Depression is an interesting thing. Chemicals in the brain cause depression. I find it interesting though, that being admitted can help people so much. If depression was ONLY chemical, people would be able to just take some meds and be okay. Some people are okay with just the meds. That isn't always the case though. Some people really do have to find out what they are good at, what they enjoy, and the value of people including themselves. That is part of the reason I like to encourage people so much. Encouragement points out the things people are good at. Encouragement points out the value in people. I don't think there has ever been a person who has came to me saying they are depressed who I have overlooked or dismissed because they "wanted attention". I don't believe that crap. Whether they really are depressed or they want attention is irrelivant. The remedy to both issues is encouragement.


I like this picture because of what it says. I think when people are smiling, enjoying the things they are good at such as art or photography, or seeing the good in themselves....I think that is when people are perfect. They are being who God meant for them to be. If you are sad right now, don't give up. It gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment